Some of you undoubtedly recognize this as a Chrysnbon hutch kit that I’m torturing. I started by spraying it with a couple of coats of Rustoleum; I taped off the parts I didn’t want painted with painter’s tape. As far as color goes, I used some kind of red (I forget, now) but your mileage may vary. I like the “Painter’s Touch” line, because it doesn’t leave a sticky finish (which a lot of spray paints do). Obviously, model specific spray paints (like Testors) work, too, but they’re kind of pricey for what you get. And I like spray paint for super detailed models like this.
The next step is aging, and basically what I’m doing is painting each piece with the CreateFX wash, letting it dry, and then sanding it off. For the darker areas, I’ll build up another layer (or two) of color, and sand again. I’m going for old and gross because, when it comes to minis, I’ve discovered that there’s rarely such a thing as too much character.
You can see, in a couple of the pictures, what the red looks like on its own. Kind of…blah. But if that’s what you’re into, you can save yourself a bunch of steps!
To be continued…